Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.
-Hebrews 12:1-3

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Just What I Needed

So I'm sitting in church this morning, half listening to the sermon, half occupying Daniel, and a very specific part of the sermon just happens to catch my ear. It's funny how God always sneaks things like this into my life. It was exactly what I needed to hear. The sermon was about Jesus being on the cross and feeling the weight of all of our sin on Himself and crying out to the Father, "My God, My God, Why have you forsaken me?" As the mother of a child with an illness, you experience many hardships. You may lose friends, feel stress about the health of your child, become angry at God, get in fights with your spouse, feel financial hardship while trying to feed your child and pay for doctors' visits and alternative medicine methods out of pocket, etc. Sometimes you may want to cry out those same words. BUT, you will NEVER EVER have to experience what it's like to be forsaken by God or feel the weight of the world's sin on your shoulders. EVER. You know why? Jesus felt it for us. And because God forsook Jesus as he hung there on the cross, feeling the weight of my sin, your sin, everyone's sin who has lived, is living, or will ever live, I will NEVER know what it's like to be forsaken by Him. I needed this reminder. Even though I sometimes feel alone and like God is not with me, carrying me, comforting me, and guiding me, He is catching my attention on a normal Sunday morning in church, as my mind wanders during the sermon while tending to my child's needs...

No comments:

Post a Comment